A piece of Fiction on “Uterus on Rent “
As he does it once every month , Ajay left early from his office today because his son Sujoy had come along with him and it was a Dad’s promise to his son about one hour games time at the Centra mall in the evening before they reach back home.
” Bye Sujoy , have fun at the Centra , Love you ” almost everybody in the office has a friendly bond with Sujoy as the 4 year old steals everybody’s heart by his smile .
At the mall
” O Hi Ajay , What a pleasant surprise ! How come you are here ? ” His colleague Manoj’s sudden appearance didn’t please Ajay
” Just came for Sujoy to enjoy the kids rides ” Ajay replied in a formal voice trying to avoid him
” O I see , but , don’t you always take Sujoy to Centra mall , how come today here at Waves mall ? ”
Manoj’s eyes were turning around to look for baby Sujoy when he suddenly noticed him with a woman , who was certainly not his mother. She was trying to explain how to play with that toy helicoter which she probably had gifted him just now .
“Unhh Unhhh…. Ajay -you clever horse !! who is she ?” Manoj giggled while glancing at the beautiful woman clad in a saree and he whispered in Ajay’s ears ” Should I tell Bhabi G about this extra marital love ?”
Hmmmm , Ajay sighed ” That woman in saree is not my love Manoj , she is Sujoy’s love ” Ajay answered calmly
” And my wife already knows it because she only opted for surrogacy to have Sujoy ”
My thoughts on Surrogacy and its challenges
Surrogacy is where a woman agrees to carry and give birth to a child for another person who will become its parent at birth . Genetic Surrogacy is done altruistically or commercially . By altruistically means that the surrogate mom is not paid for her service . She offers her uterus as an act of altruism . While commercial surrogacy is paid, where she offers her uterus on rent .
The altrusitic surrogate mom does it as a selfless service , as an act of kindness towards the couple or may be she herself wants to relive the pregnancy feelings . During the journey , the baby and the surrogate mom develop a bond which sometimes is difficult to forget in future too . As in the above story , the lady in saree might be the baby’s altruistic surrogate mom who had develped a special bond with the child over those 9 months . That bond still pulled both mom and child towards each other .
Challenges of a surrogate mom
- The act of surrogacy can be very emotionally disturbing for the woman . It may bring feelings of kind of prostitution .
- The act of providing her uterus on rent can bring into mind the questions regarding her being treated as a commodity .
- During the journey of carrying a child within her , she may develop deep emotional bond with the unborn child and may be she is not ready for separation from the child after delivery .
- The woman may do this act for meeting her personal financial needs .
Few arguments in favour of Surrogacy :
- Surrogate moms do it wishfully . So there should not be any problem.
- It’s a profession just like any other , getting paid for their work.
- If they don’t accept money for it, then their selfless act is a great blessing for a childless couple.
- Commercial surrogate moms receive medical, nutritional and overall healthcare through surrogacy agreements.
Few arguments against Surrogacy :
- Surrogacy is like selling her reproduction system .
- Why go for surrogacy when there are so many orphans who can be adopted and rather should be adopted.
- The rented mother may develop negative feelings .
- The sanctity of marriage is destroyed .
Surrogacy is a debatable topic but this technique is adopted by many . Inspite of all the pros and cons of it , the emotional problems related to the uterus of mother can’t be overlooked . The issue remains much deeper seated.